Why should I be passed as weird just because I don't want to celebrate this day - January 1st? Who dictates this day to be special? Every day is special to me. Every day, another opportunity to be better, a chance to make up, to improve, to rectify, to prepare for a better Hereafter.
To me, singling out today as a special day, or the beginning of a new term (or year in this case) would deny the idea that every other day can also be a beginning, and just as this isn't a beginning, December 31st isn't an end either. This is only so because of the Gregorian calendar which was only adopted from the 16th century onwards. If you're interested to find out more about it, here's an interesting summary http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0002061.html
As for now, it's business as usual, and if I were to celebrate right now, I'd celebrate my Creator who's given me another day. To me, nothing's certain, and I wouldn't want to celebrate a new year not knowing what it has in store for me! Do you?
To me, singling out today as a special day, or the beginning of a new term (or year in this case) would deny the idea that every other day can also be a beginning, and just as this isn't a beginning, December 31st isn't an end either. This is only so because of the Gregorian calendar which was only adopted from the 16th century onwards. If you're interested to find out more about it, here's an interesting summary http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0002061.html
As for now, it's business as usual, and if I were to celebrate right now, I'd celebrate my Creator who's given me another day. To me, nothing's certain, and I wouldn't want to celebrate a new year not knowing what it has in store for me! Do you?
I think you are tottally right and everyday is a gift :)
ReplyDeleteAs Lina said, Yes we should really thank God for keeping us alive and everyday is a chance to improve what you've doe yesterday and build for the future. :)
ReplyDeleteI think most of the people who bother celebrating are those who don't often give themselves time to enjoy life... So they get reminded of how thankful and happy they should be because they're still alive only when it's a New Year. Those who are already aware of how lucky they are don't need to wait for a new year to be cheered up!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you teacher but it's just that we got used to celebrate it.
ReplyDeleteYeah, everyday we can begin a new start and set a new goal. :)