Blogging is really amazing when you really think about it. You're at home, sharing some thoughts and there's someone 10,000 kms away who'll read and share the thought with you. It struck me when I checked the Stats of my blog a little while ago, and it said that today 5 people from Russia viewed my blog! I thought that was amazing! I mean, what is the likelihood of me sharing an idea with one person, let alone five, in Russia from the comfort of my home? Pretty slim I'd say! I set out writing this to motivate my students as, on one hand, I believe that it'll help improve their writing skills in a fun way, but on the other hand, it also gives me a chance to check their writing progress in a more informal way - and also gives me a chance to share links and ideas that I stumble across, almost everyday! I never anticipated that these words could/would be read so far out.
Saying this, we must also appreciate that with such a public exposure of our thoughts, it's important to be aware of what we say and how we say it. We should remember that this is a public place, therefore, we should behave (or express ourselves) in the same way we would do if we were in public.
Apart from that, on the school front, things are going well I'd say, Alhamdulillaah! Well at least with some of my classes - I think that you're all realising that work pays off and this in itself is a great lesson maashaa'Allaah. Today's Writing results for Gr9 girls were generally very positive - and those of you who didn't achieve what you'd expected, I hope you understand what you need to do next time.
At the English Club, things are busy too. All the clubs and campaigns are in full swing so we should see lots happening before the January break - that's really exciting.
Oh, and the link of the day is a document I stumble across highlighting more than 30 inventions inspired by Muslims - each one of them is commonly used today and who really knows that we owe it to a Muslim? Check it out; the document is a bit long but you can scroll down and skim read to get the gist. However, I really advise you to read it thoroughly as it's well worth knowing. http://www.ummahedinburgh.co.uk/radio/files/Muslim-Invention-Article.pdf
Let me know how many you recognised as being of Muslim heritage... and until next time, take care x
Saying this, we must also appreciate that with such a public exposure of our thoughts, it's important to be aware of what we say and how we say it. We should remember that this is a public place, therefore, we should behave (or express ourselves) in the same way we would do if we were in public.
Apart from that, on the school front, things are going well I'd say, Alhamdulillaah! Well at least with some of my classes - I think that you're all realising that work pays off and this in itself is a great lesson maashaa'Allaah. Today's Writing results for Gr9 girls were generally very positive - and those of you who didn't achieve what you'd expected, I hope you understand what you need to do next time.
A little glimpse at where our Global Club (aka the English Club) members gather during breaks and free periods. Looks a bit different now so I'll try and post a more recent picture in the future.
At the English Club, things are busy too. All the clubs and campaigns are in full swing so we should see lots happening before the January break - that's really exciting.
- Tomorrow is the first presentation Gr9A will give to raise awareness about their campaign to sponsor the education of Gambian orphans. Their presentation will be given in the school theatre and that will be followed by a Bake Sale next Wednesday. They're sticking maps all around the school asking students to mark the Gambia on the map - I really liked this idea to generate interest and create an awareness of the Gambia early on in the Campaign. Well done girls!
- Gr9B had an initial display of their first draft poetry for the Poetry Jam they are preparing. Some very interesting material was written so this should also be an interesting show.
- The Anti-Bullying campaign will begin on Saturday (I think) with the leaders of that club going round the school interviewing their peers with a questionnaire.
- The Book Club has almost completed their first book this term - today I received the proposal for the 2nd title - still in my bag...I won't say too much about that just yet.
- The Costume competition is also in full preparation - girls will parade on a catwalk and judges will decide on the most creative outfit/s. I wonder who the judges will be.
Oh, and the link of the day is a document I stumble across highlighting more than 30 inventions inspired by Muslims - each one of them is commonly used today and who really knows that we owe it to a Muslim? Check it out; the document is a bit long but you can scroll down and skim read to get the gist. However, I really advise you to read it thoroughly as it's well worth knowing. http://www.ummahedinburgh.co.uk/radio/files/Muslim-Invention-Article.pdf
Let me know how many you recognised as being of Muslim heritage... and until next time, take care x
This is the link to a great video explaining some of the inventions. Very interesting! http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBtFgTIIoIJU&v=BtFgTIIoIJU&gl=SA
ReplyDelete