Sunny Cloudy Sunrise

Sunny Cloudy Sunrise
Driving on a French road at sunrise in the Summer of 2011, got this strange feeling of being trapped between the sun and the grey clouds - a surreal experience!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Does your Motivation need Shaking Up?

Motivation is a great thing! It's like a motor that drives you and things get done without you realising it but every so often it all slows down and you feel sluggish, as though the drive had gone - and it probably has!
Just like anything else, motivation needs to be fed, shaken up and kick-started every so often.

So how can we do that?

I was just thinking about it this morning, and realised that what I do is:
  • Remember what my objective is - so literally re-state it to myself and why I'm doing it. Be as clear as possible as Objective and Intention (why/what and who for?) can make the whole difference as to how much motivation we'll have.
  • If I've run out of ideas, or I'm bored with the way I do things, I need inspiration so I read or speak to those around me about it, and generally, ideas begin to flow. Another plus towards Motivation.
  • Sometimes I realise that the goal I set for myself seems to stand like a mountain in front of me, which is a bit scary! I feel as though I'll never get over it. So, I break down the steps towards the final BIG goal and set myself smaller ones, more achievable steps to achieve the final objective. That usually also brings on more motivation.
Goal setting is really exciting and achieving them is even more rewarding. On the other hand, giving up can give us a real sense of failing and have a negative impact on may other things. It's important to understand that achieving a goal is not easy, and that help is always somewhere near - so, the first goal to set oneself should be to NOT GIVE UP! With that goal in  mind, anything is possible by Allaah's Will.


Today's short video is the speech of a 13 year old girl at a United Nations conference and she totally motivated me! Watch it and and let me know what you think.



Until next time...peace x

20 comments:

  1. I watched the whole thing and googled it, only then I realised I was shedding tears. I'm not sure if it was her speech or the delegates' expressions that made me cry...But I'm sure it has something to do with a word or an image that reminded me of what I'm supposed to be doing right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WWhat a touching comment Esma, maashaa'Allaah - clearly food for thought and hopefully loaaaads of motivation to keep going with your goals and projects. Thank you for a beautiful comment xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I should thank you for such a great post..so brief but as significant as that girl's speech! I mean, I wrote a post about drawing inspiration from things that some people say...And I think yours should be the first on my list now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm humbled Esma and pleased you can draw inspiration from these words and Allaah deserves all the Praise.
    Btw, did you read Sr Maryam's comment on the Persistence post?
    Have a fruitful weekend ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mrs..But We'll see that next week :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I was just thinking about motivation (or lack of it, actually) this very morning, because I've been impossibly sluggish for two weeks now... I can do nothing but sleep. Yesterday I slept for 16 hours, and I can't even find the energy to study. I was memorizing Arabic (for Saturday's term exam) this morning and I had to struggle to understand and memorize. Two hours later, I fell asleep! On my desk! After SIXTEEN hours of sleep! I'm so frustrated.. At this rate, my grades are going to dive to rock bottom.
    I don't know if this is lack of motivation or just plain laziness on my side, but I've never been lazy so this is just frustrating to me... I wish someone would push me into my room and MAKE me study because I haven't been able to find it in me to do anything but sleep for the past two weeks.. I mean, my BIGGEST accomplishment this week was getting out of bed to go to school! I'm so MAD at myself and i'm even angrier at teh fact that i can't seem to do anything about it..

    Sorry about my ramblings :( It's just that this has really been weighing on my mind and I'm so afraid because my drive (and energy) decided to ditch me on term exam week..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sana, this really doesn't sound like you - but maybe you really did need that rest. Now focus on the fact that this is your final year and you've done great with your SATs, but you still need that 40% - it's the last leg, you can do it. I'm sure you can think of plenty to motivate you - if not, send me a pm and I'll name you a few ;)
    Eat lots of fresh food/fruit etc for positive energy and get studying... May Allaah help you all xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Masha'Allah. It's soo interesting and really motivating. That's nice to find in the world children that owe this deep thinking, familiarity with and extensive knowledge of the conditions of others living in this wide world.
    I mostly like the fact she says that she is chanlenging people to do actions and to change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AMAZING miss, so encouraging and motivating!!! and she;s just 13 like 1 year younger than me!
    But really enjoyed it like to the max. Wish i was that confident to say a speech infront of all these people.......engaging video miss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That girl is amazing. She is younger than everybody in that conference but yet she is wiser.
    I am on the same page with her... We face many problems that can be solved if people around the world - young and old - gave their attention and time to fix instead of break and destroy. If nobody acts soon, this generation and the generations after will have no future. The problem is many people are wrapped up in their small world that they forget what's really important.
    Thanks for posting this video =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mariam, Marwa and Randa, I'm glad you enjoyed this and found it inspiring - this girl is no different from you and almost your age too. Did you notice how she and her friends raised all the money to be able to attend the conference? They set a goal, and went for it. It's as simple as that.
    You too are great girls and can achieve anything by Allaah's will, but just as Randa mentioned, beware not to become like those who are 'wrapped up in their small world and forget what's important' - think about what's really important...it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know Mrs Hada sometimes those small goals we set for ourselves to make it all easier are way far from our main aim... They are just a few things we dream of achieving for our own sake and ease! And when we're not able to make those dreams come true we complain about how weak we are and how hard it is to fulfill our hopes but we never realize that all this is happening to us because we are going off the right track...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really impressed!! She is younger than us but had the courage to come up in front of all these people to say this bravely,and i felt she said it from her heart. Although it's a speech, i felt she was natural and addressed every member alone. I guess this is what compares a person who has motivation and really wants to make a change from that who has goals but doesn't try enough to reach them. I hope those members would really change and help in doing something for a CHANGE.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't express the feeling after i saw that motivated girl which she has the strengh to say these strong word infront of the cameras that moved the feelings of the audiens ! And in all she's totally right in every single word she expressed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. more like in front of those people!! I've seen it before they even have an Arabic version of it. I love how brave she is and she made Esma cry that alone is an accomplishment :P

      Delete
  15. I am trying to find a word to comment about this video but i can't.I really appreciate her way of thinking and how strong she is to stand infront of the whole world and speak.I really have no words to say. i really got motivated after i saw that girl.
    thanks Mrs. Hada

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know Mrs. Hada setting goals and achieving them even if they were small goals are the things that gives a meaning to our life , but unfortunately when we fall in achieving any of our goals we give up and start complaining but we never realize that it 's easy to achieve them if we did the points you've mentioned above .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my god how brave she is!! She stood in front of the whole world to motivate us to work hard to change the world to a better one, and never give up. “We can do it” The most shocking part is that she's 13 just like us and she did it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Didn't she get like stage-frightened ?! I mean like that's amazing to do while you're only thirteen..The furthest I went was presenting our campaign and that itself was dreadful.She must be really motivated to accomplish all that, Masha'Allah. Thank you Ms. Hada for such an awakening post!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mashaa Allah, she is totally correct about every single word she said. what amazed me is that she is at the age of 13 which means she is younger than us and she thinks in that way, what a brave girl is she. She thought of nothing when she was on the stage just her goal and what she wanted to say and she just said it. She tried to help the enviroment more than older people does.
    It's really interesting to watch and hear such a video. Thankss alot Mrs.Hada.

    ReplyDelete