Sunny Cloudy Sunrise

Sunny Cloudy Sunrise
Driving on a French road at sunrise in the Summer of 2011, got this strange feeling of being trapped between the sun and the grey clouds - a surreal experience!

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Anyone Can!

I just read the story of a 10 year old, Eden Eskaros, who had a life-changing experience while on a visit in Mexico. She noticed that many kids didn't have any shoes so she returned home (to the US) and with the help of her community, was able to send those kids over 1,000 pairs of shoes! Absolutely remarkable! 

Will this benefit Eden at all? Absolutely! This shows that she's already aware that if she sets her mind to do something, it can be done by Allaah's Will. Children who grow up feeling responsible for themselves and others around them, can only become productive citizens and in turn, productive citizens can only add value to their community, and the world. They become problem solvers - for they understand that a problem is only a problem when you can't solve it! Once you've solved it, it becomes a success, right?

Many societies are in turmoil at the moment and we find that too many people tend to point the finger at a leader (of some sort!). Although I don't think that leaders shouldn't bear any of the responsibility - on the contrary as with leadership comes accountability - I believe that if we, citizens looked toward ourselves a little more, and stopped trying to find someone to blame for whatever's happening to us, then perhaps, we would find solutions to, at least some, if not all, of our problems. Eden shows this by her action. She didn't go back and start a campaign against the Mexican government, she appealed to her own community, and with cooperation and goodwill, she and her community did it! 

I feel it's the responsibility of every adult, parents and teachers alike, to instill compassion and confidence in the children in their care as this skill is/will be way more valuable to them and their community, than many other skills. They will become more responsible and active citizens - isn't that a great characteristic to have?

According to the article I read, 'Students reported six main ways adults helped. They:

1) supported and encouraged
2) listened
3) set high expectations
4) showed interest in them as individuals separate from academics or civic activities, 
5) fostered self-decision making, and 
6) provided another perspective during problem-solving.'

Clearly, a little can go such a long way - no matter how old you are.
I hope by now you're thinking, 'I want to read the article about Eden', so to make it easier, here's the link ;):

http://rootsofaction.com/blog/youth-profile-eden-eskaros-helps-children-living-in-poverty/


Have a great weekend!


7 comments:

  1. It would be amazing if children acquired such a skill.. But like you said, it takes an adult to instill that in a child, and adults (parents or teachers) often neglect being emotionally supportive to children. I once read an article about how rare good listeners are in today's world, and listening to a child, in my opinion, is the first step towards building his/her confidence. Parents also often set impossibly high expectations, rendering their children incapable of measuring up and hence instilling a nagging sense of failure inside the kids.

    I just think that if more adults helped in the six ways you mentioned, more children would turn out to be like Eden.. I read the article and it's so inspiring.. Maybe someday we'll get to be that change in someone's life, insha'Allah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sana, I have no doubt (And Allaah Knows Best!) that you will be a valuable member to your community - you already are maashaa'Allaah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If our children in the Arab world is like Eden we won't have any poverty or irresponsibility we would all care for each other not only for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really shows that young people could really have an effect if the population have just given them the chance,and honestly i was astonished by how much a tenth-year old girl would do so that proves we can do more!! Nice post miss!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rola, you're right but I hope for ALL children to be raised with this sense of compassion and responsibility then the whole world would be a better place. xx
    Marwa, I'm glad you enjoyed this post, and I hope you draw inspiration from it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was really inspired by Eden's story hence the post. Inspiration is a beautiful thing which is on an endless journey touching people from place to place and creating a link between them. I find it fascinating maashaa'Allaah.
    Thank you Anan for your comment. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's an interesting story. It shows things that describes reality of our children and shows how children can be responsible of themselves.
    I think ww should all do the best for helping children in our countries

    ReplyDelete